Interrupting your regular Love Lay broadcast with some translations of a different genre - there’s a fanfic that’s been going around lately called 48 hours (by 辛辛息息) that was originally written in Chinese. The premise is that upon arrival in LA, just before their 2nd anniversary, EXO get ushered into a car and locked in a house and in a battle royale style game, are told that only one of them will walk out alive, and from the preface, we know that person is Kris. I know that there already other English translations, and I don’t offer that mine is particularly better or worse, but since I am doing it anyway (for my own sake) I thought I would share, as an alternate! Except…because I started translating it for myself, I started from the last few chapters…and have decided to continue working backwards instead. So for the time being, I suppose this is only for people who have already read the entire fic! Okay, okay~
Chapter 13 | 14 | 15
Yixing’s Birthday Message @EXO-M Official Site
Kris’s weibo update:
Lay happy birthday! (cake)(cake)(cake)
Lu Han’s weibo update:
Lay (lei/tired), Happy Birthday!
- Super kind Xingxing gege especially asked the Korean fans if they knew about the things the Chinese fans had done: the 21 balloons, the LED screens in a lot of cities, and even volunteering activities, and they sent me the certificates too. And he said that having these sorts of fans was the greatest happiness in his life.
- K suddenly appeared! Suho grabbed Xingxing ge’s arm and said that four years ago, when we met, when it was my birthday, you remembered and congratulated me, but I forgot your birthday, and I feel really, really sorry to Yixing. As he was talking, he started getting choked up, and then he started crying. Everyone yelled “Joonmyeon don’t cry!” And Yixing and him hugged.
- A fan asked Yixing what his favourite song was. Yixing said that no matter how he thought about it, it had to be the song he’d just wrote last night. And then the fans told him to perform it. Yixing said that the song was only nice if there was a piano to go with it, but there wasn’t one there, so in the future, if he had a chance, he’d perform it for everyone~
- (For the lie detector) They asked Yixing, compared to K, M was more handsome, right? Yixing said ‘right’, and the lie detector passed him. And then after, when Chanyeol came, they asked Chanyeol the same question, Chanyeol said K was more handsome, and then the lie detector shocked him! Chanyeol was so surprised that he took a step back, hand to his chest, so cute.
- All the K members gave Lay birthday messages one by one, starting from the right. As it came to each person’s turn, the fans would obviously yell the next person’s name. And then, when it was Sehun’s turn, Chanyeol didn’t notice, and was walking towards Yixing. And then the fans all yelled “Sehun!” Chanyeol walked halfway there, and heard them yell Sehun, so he slowly backed up. And then as he backed up, he got tripped by the speakers or a desk, and quietly knelt down.
Frontline jiejie @reneereneebe said  that first she’ll talk about a few small stories, and later there’ll be the detailed fanaccount.
1) After K finished an activity, they suddenly appeared at the party. Kai came out carrying a cake. The first time, the candles blew out when they were carrying it in, so they all turned around and did it again.
2) When they came out, Yixing was wearing a purple union jack headband (similar to the one Lu Han wore at SMT). As soon he came in, he took it off, and all the fans screamed, telling him to put it back on.
3) This time, they used a lie detector, and other than our birthday boy Lay who passed through peacefully, the others were all shocked, and the reactions were huge! They even knocked over the machine.
4) At the start, they brought in a cake, but because the cake was covered in sugarpaste, the surface was very hard, and you have to take it off to eat it. M didn’t know, so they kept cutting it here and there, and they couldn’t cut it, so Kris said why did they bring in a cake that they couldn’t eat?
5) The birthday wish Lay made was for M to do well, and for everyone to be healthy. He said that what he was most touched by was the LED support event.
6) When Kris was picking questions, he kept playing around with the FANS, so Taozi took a ball of paper and threw it at duizhang’s neck, and then duizhang asked in a really manly, cool way: ‘who did that?’ Taozi was like a kid who’d done wrong, and lowered his head and pretend it wasn’t him, and in the end, the fans sold him out and all said it was him.
6) This time, the MC of the party was baozi~ Everyone said he was a really easy to bully big brother.
Through the entire thing, M was mostly also speaking Korean.
7) A Korean fan shared the same birthday as Lay, Lay wanted to give her a rose used for magic tricks, but because it was a prop, he couldn’t. So in the end, he went backstage and got a bunch of roses and gave it to her. The fan accepted it with tears in her eyes. (Xingxing you’re too niiiiiceeeeeeeeeee)
Fanaccts from @小智MAX@weibo, cr dc:
- 1. Chen sang a song, the song was Verbal Jint’s 《충분히 예뻐》 2. Lay danced.
- 1. Lay is really kind. When Tao was sick, he carried Tao to here. 2. He said that baozi is very stubborn hyung, but really easy to bully. 3. Lay gave a fan who shared the same birthday as him a flower.
- When Sehun was giving his message to the birthday boy, he stammered a little. Tao teased him saying ‘is this all you wanted to say?’ Xiumin then said proudly that our magnae (TAO)’s Korean is very good. Chanyeol, standing on the said, said that our magnae (Sehun)’s Korean is also very good. So they started a Korean competition! Chenchen and Baekhyun found it hilarious. Chenchen said that whoever it should be whoever could speak well and speak longer, Baekhyun said that it should be who could say the ㅅ sound (Sehun can’t make this sound properly) better.
- Suho kept wanting to apologise to Lay. Because three years ago, LAY bought him a cake for his birthday, but that year, Suho wasn’t able to give Lay birthday congratulations. Even though after that year, he always celebrated Lay’s birthday, but because he wasn’t able to that time three years ago, he’s always felt sorry and kept that in his heart.
- 1. Chinese fans, Lay knows about all the events that the chinese fans did for his birthday. 2. Lay is too nice. On the street, when he sees people panhandling, he can’t walk past them, and will always give them money. 3. At the end, LAY wanted to say thank you everyone for such a great time (즐거운), but he didn’t say it properly so the Koraen fans heard it as a boring （지겨운) time.
- 1. When the birthday party started, LAY was saying thank you to so and so, and obviously he started from saying thank you to the mom who had a hard time birthing him, to the fans, to the members, to the staff, thanking them one by one. Kris teased him saying that it was like he was receiving an award. And then he handed the program for the birthday party to him in place of a trophy. 2. Xiumin said that why don’t we all say something to him, but he stuttered a little. Kris teased him saying ‘are you Korean? Why don’t you use Chinese, I’ll translate for you.’
- Kris was totally lol. Lu Han said ‘can I use Chinese to say this to Lay?’ Kris said ‘sure, I’ll translate. Actually, in M, my role isn’t rapper, but it’s translator.’ Xiumin told Kris to say something too, Kris said ‘can I? I’m not a member’ (Just before he’d said he was the translator~)
- The cake was really pretty, but it wasn’t easy to eat. They brought in two cakes with unicorns on them, Tao thought it was really interesting, so Kris wanted to take the unicorns off to give them to him, but they couldn’t take them off both the cakes. Kris said ‘did they give us a cake we can’t eat?’ (They couldn’t even take off the unicorns) After making a wish, they should have cut the cake, but they couldn’t cut it so they gave up, hahahahahaha.
Happy Birthday Zhang Yixing!
To the brightest star in my heart, happy birthday. Even though I’ve only cherished you properly for these nine months, the warmth I feel like I’ve received from you is stronger than any other feeling. You’ve come a long way, and this is your first birthday since you’ve debuted, since you’ve finally, finally, finally showed the world what others knew all along - that you’re something special. Now that you’ve debuted, now that you feel like you have something to show for it all, is it okay that we cheer you on in this manner? There’s nothing you can say now, right, to all these people who love you? Do you see yourself, finally, that yes, you are a person who is worth supporting like this?
With your friends, and I wish with your family as well - I hope that you’ll be able to celebrate this special day, happily. Just as you always wish for us, to be happy, to be healthy, we wish for you - be happy! be healthy!
I can only express myself clumsily like this: saying things like ‘I hope you are happy’ and ‘you deserve the world’ and ‘you are well-loved’ and ‘you are truly a star’. I can only look at the ‘L’ my fingers make, on the other side of the screen, on the other side of the world. I can only make small contributions, and hope that they will become a larger piece of the love that will reach you - because the love we have for you, it’s at least as much as the love you show to us, right? And, on this special day, I hope you will feel it strongly.
Happy 21st birthday, Zhang Yixing. This is the first after you’ve debuted - there will be many, many more, and if heaven permits, I’d like to walk with you for each and every one of them. 艺兴生日快乐！除了快乐，健康而以 别的就先不用提了。一年比一年更像一颗明亮的星星 那也就是当然的！就这样 祝我们善良又帅气的长沙王子生日快乐！
With LED screens in multiple cities all displaying birthday messages on loop, the entire stadium at the concert singing Happy Birthday… October 7 is EXO-M member Lay’s (Zhang Yixing) 21st birthday. As for the Hunan kid who’s just debuted, he had no idea that even before his birthday, the fans had prepared for him gift after luxurious gift. Even his mother felt very moved: “I don’t know how this group of kids managed to do it.” Reporter Shen Can, Changsha News.
13 LED screens congratulatory messages, Concert venue singing birthday song together.
“I saw it in Guangzhou,” “Foshan too.” On the national holiday, many fans uploaded the pictures to weibo of LED screens in different places, all displaying Zhang Yixing’s video. In order to usher in Zhang Yixing’s birthday, his fans specially coordinated to have 13 LED screens in Shenzhen, Guangzhou, Foshan, Dongguan, Zhuhai, Huizhou, Jiangmen, Shantou, Shanwei and other such cities, all set up so that between October 1 and October 7, they would play on repeat a birthday message for Lay, 60 times a day. And on October 2, at the 2012 China-Korea music festival held in Shanghai, the fans prepared another magnificent gift for Zhang Yixing at the venue: outside the venue, balloons with banners with birthday messages congratulating Zhang Yixing filled the space, and inside, they formed a ‘L’ with lightsticks, and also sang Happy Birthday to him in chorus.
According to reports, LAY (Zhang Yixing) is a born and bred Hunan Changsha kid, and was recently the third place winner in Star Academy. He left at 17 for Korea to become a trainee, and only debuted as a member of the Korean group EXO-M in April of this year. But, in half a year to have accumulated this much popularity, to receive such large scale birthday congratulations, he’s also attracted a lot of attention. “This Changsha kid, does he really have that much charm?”
The fans say
“We prepared for three months, being a fan doesn’t mean we can forget to do good.”
“We prepared for three months!” On the afternoon of October 5, the reporter interviewed Zhang Yixing’s Baidu Bar’s leader, Tangtang. The girl said, October 7 is Zhang Yixing’s 21st birthday, and it’s also the first birthday since debut, so the fans all really want to give him an unforgettable birthday present. 3 months ago, everyone began to discuss and plan. Because the debut stage was in the Guangdong area, the fans decided to set up LED screens in 9 cities in Guangdong, in order to broadcast clips of Zhang Yixing’s performances, as well as congratulatory birthday messages. “Because this is the place where his dream was realised.” Tangtang revealed that just for this one thing, they discussed for a very long time. “We started talking to the companies in July, and there were several complications, and in October, we finally managed to prepare this present.” Tangtang expressed that other than this, many fans went to express their congratulatory wishes with charity work. “We set up charity activities in 7 provinces, and the fans went to welfare agencies, elementary schools, etc to volunteer,” Tangtang said. “He’s always said to us, that he hopes that we can take our love for him and share it with those who need it more.”
This barely 20 year old girl said that she’s been following Zhang Yixing for 7 years already. “In 2005, I saw him in Star Academy, and thought he was really cute, really funny.” Later, Zhang Yixing was chosen by Korean company SME to go to Korea to train, and in April 2012, Zhang Yixing, as a member of SM’s new group EXO-M, debuted under the name ‘LAY’, his cool dance and solemn styling attracting many fans.
His mother said
“I’m really touched by the fans, moved to tears.”
“The fans did so much.” When she received this reporter’s call, Zhang Yixing’s mother kept sighing. She revealed that she went to the October 2nd concert. “He didn’t know either, I went there secretly. On stage, that child didn’t realise at first that everyone was wishing him happy birthday, I was so worried, I kept yelling: turn around, turn around.”
As to the fans’ passion, Mrs. Zhang said that she was really touched. “Like Tangtang came especially to my clothing store. Everyone is so kind to Yixing, it feels like there’s a lot of pressure on me and Yixing. Ayi, auntie, doesn’t want you to spend money on him, I said, and then she said she was using her own scholarships. Like that time at the concert, many fans went early to greet their plane, and sometimes, there was so many people that you couldn’t even see them. I’m really, really so touched by them, these days, I’ve been moved to tears.”
That her son has received so much attention is something that surprised his mother, but more than that, she’s very thankful. “I never thought about whether my son would receive such a welcome, but only that the fans haven’t had it easy either. Truthfully, dancing and singing is his profession, but I’ve always said to him, you have to work hard, you have to keep in mind that there’s many people who are treating you as a role model.” So saying, she reminded the reporter again: “you have to convey my thanks to the fans, I really don’t know how those kids managed to do it.”
Source: Xiaoxiang Morning Post, Reporter: Shen Can, Changsha
(original article| translation by fenshen@tumblr)